Friday, May 25, 2007

Why read Harry Potter?

I just finished writing up a proposal for this book on Lacan and Children's Literature in which I argue that one of the powerful things about the Harry Potter books is the way in which the Imaginary order is always cut by the Real, by Death. Harry's biggest fantasies concern the care that his parents, or Sirius, or Dumbledore might provide him, and as the books progress these supports get taken away from him, one by one. I also argue that the structure is that of a mobius strip, such that the opposition between the Imaginary and the Real is intrinsic to the structure of the fantasies of the characters. Rowling herself said the books are about death, which, in my opinion, the (pure) genre of fantasy has always completely obviated. Rowling, though, sets out like she's going to give the traditional weight to the imaginary elements (the overblown powers, the ridiculous dualisms) but then always manages to be very surprising in the way these fantasies run into their very own Real limits. The books are theologically right on, as well, for the very simple fact that Harry loves because he is not afraid to die.

3 comments:

Janet leslie Blumberg said...

Wow.

Christopher said...

I liked where this article was going, but it stopped at a paragraph. Am I missing something? I click the link and it's the same paragraph. I want more.

D. W. McClain said...

Me too. What's up with that?!