Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pirates of the Never Ending Story about the Caribbean


At least, about 2.5 hrs into the newest installment of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (hereafter PC), I felt like it was a neverending story. Not that it was that bad, but rather that it could have been shorter. Kate and I agreed that PC would have been more coherent, less like the runon sentences you occasionally read here at TLOU, had it been shorter - this coming from someone who just watched all three Lord of the Rings movies in their extended versions! As many of the reviews have indicated, the push for action and CG suffocated the drama, although Johnny Depp's schizophrenic routine really added a new element to the Jack Sparrow character. I'm not going to try draw any profound conclusions from the movie, because if there were any, I probably lost track of them at that 2 hour mark.

Speaking of Lord of the Rings, thanks to Jay for drawing Aron's and my attention to The Children of Hurin (click the link for an interesting writeup), a new volume edited by Christopher Tolkien, an expansion of Tolkien's notes on a shorter story from the Silmarillion, and the newest addition to the TLOU bookclub. Summer reading, anyone?

1 comment:

Jay Blossom said...

I'm finished with the Children of Hurin and well into The Silmarillion now -- my first reading of the Silmarillion, though I've read Lord of the Rings many, many times.

I'm liking the Silmarillion much more than I had expected. It's extremely rich -- like reading Genesis, but in some ways better.

Thanks to the link to the blog about the Children of Hurin. I thought that was great.

Jay